Friday, January 5, 2007

Brands That I Love

Kevin Roberts, CEO Worldwide of Saatchi & Saatchi, has recently published the sequel to his bestselling business book, Lovemarks, titled The Lovemarks Effect: Winning in the Consumer Revolution. In inspiring fashion, Robert asserts that companies no longer want their brands to be solely "respected," but want to be both respected and "loved." When brands have achieved such acclaim, they are to be termed as being "lovemarked". Moreover, Roberts's contention is that companies must use insight and foresight to best promote powerful, emotional connections. Below, I have made a personal list of lovemarked brands, all of which resonate with me on an "emotional level of engagement."

My List of 30 Irresistible and Irreplaceable Brands

J.Crew
Vineyard Vines
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Apple
Google
Netflix
TIVO
Barnes & Noble
Facebook.com
Toyota
BMW
Gillette
Cliff Bar
Fiji Water
Hennes & Mauritz
IKEA
Research in Motion (aka Blackberry)
U2 (Yes, Bono deserves his own brand title)
Trek Bicycles
Burton Snowboards
Suunto Watches
Four Seasons Hotels
Starbucks
IllyEspresso
Birkenstocks
Patagonia
Life is Good(R)
SouthWest Airlines
The New York Times

I would love to hear feedback and comments on your own list of favorite brands. Are there any of my mentioned brands that you agree or disagree with. I'd really like to open up discussion on this topic. As I continue reading The Lovemarks Effect, I will try to keep you updated on my overall impressions of the book. I will also post some original thoughts and insights as to how Robert's principles hold certain relevance.
-AK



2 comments:

Max Katsarelas said...

Your list of irreplacable brands is absurd. You include B + N but fail to recognize Borders. Why put on Netflix when Blockbuster offers the same service plus retail locations? Burkenstocks are ugly shoes and NorthFace is a fad. U2- come on. I don't understand your list here. Facebook isn't nearly as popular as Myspace and plus, Fiji water doesn't taste as good as Aquafina, that is, if you can 'taste' the difference. Toyota and BMW, where do you get this idea? Once again, I am completely lost- your list really upsets me. Oh yeah, when you put J. Crew on there, does that mean you support slave labor because I think that goes against Bono's views.

nERdsROpe said...

I, for the most part, agree with your list. I'd take off some of the grocery stores...and add on brands like Verizon and Coca-cola. However, I'm assuming that these are the brands that you come into contact with the most which is cool. From the short synopsis you gave on Kevin Roberts book, I'm assuming that "lovemarked" is similiar to brand loyalty. And I think it's all based upon first impressions. I mean if I drank Pepsi and I loved it, I wouldn't have any reason to go and try Coke out, but thats my opinion.

Nerds--Rope